Thursday, May 7, 2020

Massage: Your Safety is My Concern

As we start to re-open the state of Ohio, new protocols have been put in place for massage therapists to abide by to keep you safe during your session. (See Covid-19 and Resuming Massage blog post for full details.) I want to assure you that most of these protocols are not new.  I have always cleaned the table, chair and shelf where clients store their personal belongings before and after every client.  I always use fresh laundered linens.   If a client has shown signs of illness; coughing, sneezing, sniffling or complaints of sinus pressure or headache, I also include wiping down door handles and anything they may have touched.  I always wash massage tools with hot soapy water after every use. I just want to assure you that cleanliness has always been a priority in the massage studio/room.

So what has changed? For one, masks have become mandatory for both therapist and client.  Gloves for the therapist if client requests no skin to skin contact; this has always been in place as a protocol. We must take the clients temperature before beginning massage; if they have a temperature we cannot proceed with the session.  When the client is face down, if they are not comfortable with the mask then a pillow case needs to cover the face cradle and be pushed down to create a tunnel to catch aerosols from the client.  One of the most daunting changes is the requirement that casual conversation be stopped.  I do understand this but I have clients that like to visit because they don't have much contact with other people at home. But being the rule follower that I am, I will limit the casual conversation. 

I am hopeful that these protocols will ease up throughout the rest of the year and we can go back to our normal comfortable massage sessions. 

Keep our country and its leaders in your thoughts and prayers in the hopes that someone can end this mess and get us back to our freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment